Present: 19 members: Eric Reed, Dilys Gartside, Lindsi Bluemel, Peter Davis, Tina Davis, John Heath, Michael Waugh, Chris Bluemel, Richard Walters, Jim Probert, Dan Doherty, Thea Bjaaland, Eleanor Wilde, Ron Adams, Tim Wakely, Jonathan Chant, (newly joined) Su White, Grant Holmes, Liz Holmes, plus 3 guests: Daniel Hopgood, Derek Buxey, Paula Blake
Apologies: Mike Charlton incapacitated as Chairman by arm injuries from collision and Barry Colbourne who is poorly in hospital with broken hip and internal problems
- Minutes of Jan 9 meeting were accepted as read
- Matters arising:
- Richard Walters reported that police had attended Kathleen Rd Sholing and booked 68 drivers infringing restriction onto Bursledon Rd by using bus lane in a 2hr morning slot. Lindsi Bluemel explained the functions of Campaign Wardens keeping an eye on their own area and taking or reporting action
- It was asked what was the issue with petrol filling station on St Denys Rd. Chris Bluemel considered it could be an issue for cyclists
- Meeting with Cllr Fitzhenry for Transport and Environment. Lindsi and Dilys met with Cllr Fitzhenry, Dale Bostock and Phil Marshall on 9 Feb and notes of meeting are recorded at foot of tonight’s Agenda – attached. They felt it was more positive than last time and he more relaxed
- South Western House – RofW officer Dave Blakeway looked at issue of this being a right of way in 1990s. Dale wasn’t informed of route closure. If we want more info, contact Dave Blakeway direct
- Western Approach – scheme on north side will proceed. No Council response yet to our comments. Parking of lorries on service roads at Millbrook to be restricted by TRO
- Tina Davis reported defective surfacing at Lovers Lane on east side of Common south of underpass. Agreed that members should email City Council Actionline on this one
- City Council not proposing to roll out blanket 20mph zones but will be targeting some more
- Cycle Survey results not yet finally analysed. Richard Pemberton at SCC has been asked for them Cycle Route into city from east boundary over Itchen Bridge to be examined by City Council
- Newsletter out for Feb. Future format to be discussed
- Test Valley – Lidl developments – Planning application has been made to SCC / TVBC as development straddles boundary. A regional distribution centre is proposed across Redbridge Lane backing onto Holy Family Church. New cycle routes to be developed in conjunction with development. City Centre Action Plan and Core Strategy to be displayed at local libraries – 8 week consultation. Eleanor Wilde to invite Viv Messenger from TVBC to talk to us about North Baddesley and southern end of TV area.
- Dale Rd surfacing poor – contact Actionline
- Stoneham Lane – Dan Hopgood an engineer with Mott MacDonald proactive on active travel. Staff do not like travelling to office at north end because of issues with Stoneham Lane. People from Bassett / Swaythling wish to travel to Eastleigh via Stoneham Lane. Reasonably light traffic but suffers from maintenance issues. Street ice due to poor drainage. One fatal accident at southern end near Channels Farm Rd. It is a signed cycle route betn Eastleigh and Soton City. Portsmouth City Football Club 4×4 drivers a problem. DH has compiled a report on defects and issues. Some works have been done, some chevrons and bendo?? installed. All write to Jenny.Rees@hants.gov.uk HCC Safety Engineer to express our many views on this
- The Times Cities fit for Cycling campaign – Importance of writing to MPs now to support Parliamentary hearing this month
- Dogs on Soton Common – Issues with dogs and people using cyclepaths. Derek reported hitting loose dog in dark killed dog he injured. Police visited him as not reported accident due to receiving hospital treatment although dog owner present at time – off work, then put on light duties. Further incident with loose dog chasing cyclists in underpass causing fall from bike. Consider what action we should be taking
- Rides for All – yesterday’s ride had 12 participants. Next Ride is Sun 18 March at Green Park Pavilion on Wimpson Lane Millbrook.
Date of Next Meeting: Mon 12 March 2012 at 1930 at The Friends Meeting House, Ordnance Rd.