Southampton Cycling Campaign – Minutes of meeting held on 9th July 2012

Present: Tim Wakely, Jonathon Chant, Nick Henry (Urge mobile cycle repairs), Tina Davis, Pete Davis, Thea Bjaaland, Chris Bluemel, Richard James, John Heath, Lindsi Bluemel, Jim Probert, Richard Walters, Dilys Gartside Apologies: Mike Charlton, Lyn Brayshaw, Eric Reed

Minutes and matters arising: Lindsi is contacting Tesco and Co-op head offices about cycle parking

Warden updates: Bitterne Park – Dale and two highways engineers have looked at gyratory with BP warden; recognition of problem but no idea for solution; works at Triangle to start this year

Report on Test Valley BUG: Jim gave a report on the meeting on 3rd July in Romsey; main issue new development north of Romsey and associated highways work – exhibition of plans at Woodley Village Hall, 2-6pm, 17th July; discussion of Lee Lane crossing to path alongside allotments into Romsey; extension of Test Way at Stockbridge – John raised issue of badly positioned bollards.

Report on New Forest Cycling Working Party on 29th June in Reading by Lindsi: CTC initiated group with Roger Geffen, Bob Damper, LB and others; discussion of legal issues relating to verderers’ powers, bylaws, prosecutions etc; SSSI implications for cycling; comparison with Forest of Dean which has similar system of verderers and where cycling rights have been established. Lindsi does not have time to be a Campaign rep on this group and it was agreed that Bob Damper would be asked by JH to report back to us if no member able to take this on.

New Bike Map: Richard suggested individuals send views to Dale as no time to discuss in detail

Meeting with Asa Thorpe: Lindsi will arrange a meeting and asked what issues members would like to be on the agenda. Suggested items – Belmont Rd/Horseshoe Bridge/Thomas Lewis Way junction; bike safety and parking; abuse of cycle lanes and ASLs; informing Campaign at early stage of cycle improvements, preferably initial consultation with Campaign. Jonathon will attend if poss.

Thea – report on work of Sustainable Transport at Council: three full time posts plus two part time. Bike It officer; community work (Thea); Bikability training to be provided by PedalPower (administered by Mountbatten School); Natalie Martin and Kirst Moorley working on workplace cycling; walking projects (Thea); bike maintenance training sessions (with RideRide); over 50s ride on 18th July to Riverside Park and possibly Lakeside; work with Sure Start; bike lockers and bike loans. Thea also suggested that we produce an annual report and agreed to obtain more info about this

Memorial to Mark: figure at Boardwalk declined; discussion of improvements at Ipley Cross; agreement to form group with this aim; organisation of annual ride from the Wellington Arms.

Zero Carbon Critical Mass: Chris asked if the Campaign would support Action on Climate Change’s Zero Carbon Day of Protest. A cycle around the city centre was agreed with support of other environmental groups (Transition, FoE , Green Party etc). Chris asked if he and Cara would plan route; assemble 10am at Bargate (10.30am start). Police would be informed.

Items 10 and 11 deferred to a future meeting as insufficient time for discussion

AOB: Queen’s Park – 29th July 2pm agreed for site visit; detailed response already received from Dan which would be incorporated LB 11/7/2012

Posted in Minutes

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*