Hamble shore path update from Warsash CATS

From: Warsashcats
Subject: CATS Campaign Update
Hello Everyone,

We are continuing to get many emails of suppport for our campaign, thank you to all of you. Sorry we couldn’t reply individually to you all. We are featured again in this month’s Western Wards Gazette so we are anticipating that this will generate further support.

As you know we believe that cyclists have a right to use the path, through long established use. We met with officials from Hampshire County Council earlier this week to determine the best way to get our rights recognised and are investigating a number of options:

1. Statutory designation of the path as a restricted byway
2. Common Law recognition of the right for cyclists to use the path
3. Designation of the path as a cycle track under the Cycle Tracks Act 1984

All of the above will take time. A quicker approach may be to seek a voluntary designation of all or part of the path, but this would require agreement from the landowners. We have been contacting landowners along the route and so far they have been very supportive – there is only one that we know of who is opposed to cyclists using the path and he also seems to be against joggers and pushchair users!

The council officers are at the moment gathering information about the route. This includes the views of the local landowners and the history of cycling the route as shown by the user evidence forms. IF YOU HAVE NOT YET COMPLETED A USER EVIDENCE FORM PLEASE DO SO and send to the Rights Of Way department in HCC.

We are also gathering what other information we can and passing it on to HCC. Related to this there was once a building along or near the path called “Captain’s Cottage”. Does anyone know where this was?

For all those who are continuing to cycle along the path can I ask you to please show consideration to other users. The last thing we want at the moment is to antagonise any of the local landowners or pedestrians who are currently being very supportive.
Also if any of you are challenged or anyone tries to obstruct or prevent you from cycling (or jogging) would you please let us know?

CATS

Posted in News
10 comments on “Hamble shore path update from Warsash CATS
  1. nadia coates says:

I would like to continue cycling on the path with my family.

2. Teresa Mcclure says:

I would like to know where the Hamble river is as I would like to go there. Are you talking about the Warsash side of Hamble River or Hamble side?

3. admin says:

The path is on the East (Warsash) side of the river.

4. Sheila Fleming says:

I think it would be a real shame if cyclists were prevented from using this path. It has been used by cyclists for a very long time. I am sure those working along the Hamble many years ago would have been cycling down there each day. I walk there often and the cyclists & pedestrians I come across are very courteous and always pull to one side to let each other pass. Do they want to ban cyclists because they are a hazard? I dont understand why. Families use this path, with their children, also on bicycles – are they going to be ordered to dismount? People take their dogs there for walks – dogs jump up at people and knock children over – are they going to be prevented from using the path? Come on when is this going to stop. The majority of cyclists using this path are going to/from work so would only be using it very early in the morning and late pm. What is the problem?

5. Nick Inman says:

I’m really glad the Southampton Cycling Campaign are continuing to pursue this issue which I raised with them when the restriction signs first appeared. Now the clocks have changed and the weather is improving I’m sure more people will want to use this vital route for fresh air and exercise.
    Thanks again, I know public authorities never do things quickly but this seems to be taking ages :o)

6. JANET GILL says:

What is the problem here ? I have 3 dogs and use the foot paths in the Chilling Area on a regular basis along with many others enjoying their chosen activities such as Cycling, Horse Riding,Running walking, dog walking, with little or no problems, it only takes a little consideration and courtesy by all users to make this work and for everyone to benefit.

7. Mrs C M Crocker says:

We have been residents in the area for 25 years, and throughout that time have walked happily along the river. We are now cyclists too, and have only just discovered that a tiny minority of walkers seem to be predudiced against us. We are careful riders and do try not to cause any annoyance to the walkers and would be very upset if a small number of people ruined an excellent sport for the many.

8. Maureen Greenham says:

Our family has cycled and walked alongside the river to Warsash for at least 20 years and we have always believed that our long usage of this path enabled us to legally cycle along it, despite the signs to the contrary. We would say that our legal right would be taken away from us if we are banned from cycling along the path in the future. We always give consideration to walkers.

9. Simon Williams says:

I have lived in Warsash all my life, I am 43. The foot path along the river has always been used for Cyclists as far back as I remember (about 1970!). I fully support this campaign.

10. Judith Wiseman says:

My husband and I have lived in Sarisbury since 1972 – and ever since then have cycled and walked ‘along the shore’. Indeed, our children who are now grown up learned to cycle along this path. We regularly use the path – sometimes we start at Warsash and walk or cycle through to Moody’s Boat Yard – other times vice-versa. We also access the shore path through Holly Hill woods.
    I have never in all that time experienced any kind of problem from cyclists and cannot understand how this path can suddenly become restricted in this way? This cannot be legal.